Monday, April 9, 2012

Cups O' Wine and Drops O' Sun

The winecups are blooming (Callirhoe involucrata). They have created a thick magenta carpet in the front of the flower bed:



I started these from seed several years ago in my garden and now they reseed themselves and are spreading wherever they can find full sun:




Closer



Next to the winecups grow the sundrops (Calylophus berlandieri ssp. pinifolius). According to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower center, they were named for the French-Swiss physician Jean Louis Berlandier (1805-1851) who collected plants in Texas and northern Mexico.

These guys love the rocky, limestone soil in my garden, but do need protection from the afternoon sun in the summer or require extra irrigation during that time. I lost several established clumps over the last few years when they were baked too hard and received too little water:



Closer. I don't know of any other flower that has such a rich, black center:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that magenta color. I just snooped around your blog, very nice. I too love my hot lips salvia.