Thursday, December 3, 2009

Making Lemon Curd

The Meyer Lemon tree is heavy with lemons and that means it is time for lemon curd! Yum!



Nothing beats homemade lemon curd. The stuff at the store doesn't even compare. Put it on biscuits, scones, toast, or eat it just plain by the spoonful (I dare you to make some and NOT eat it by the spoonful!)

There are many recipes out there for lemon curd, but here's the recipe I use:

Lemon Curd:

6 Egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 Tbls grated lemon zest

Strain the egg yolks into a medium, non-reactive saucepan over low heat. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice, and cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Do not allow mixture to boil (it could cause curdling).

Remove from heat and whisk mixture until slightly cooled. Stir in the butter, a piece at a time, until fully incorporated. Add the zest. While still warm, pour the mixture into hot, sterilized jars, cover tightly, and refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes 1 pint.

You may also freeze it up to a year.

It is SO easy to make and totally worth the time to make your own. There's nothing better. Yum!

5 comments:

Rachel @ in bloom said...

Oh my goodness, I so needed this recipe. :) Thank you for posting it!

Dee/reddirtramblings said...

You know, I bet I could make lemon curd with Earth Balance spread instead and butter. I love lemon curd. Thanks.~~Dee

Lee17 said...

Rachel,

You are quite welcome!

Lee17 said...

Dee,

I bet you could. I haven't ever made it with anything but butter, but I don't see why you couldn't use a spread. Try it and see what happens ;)

Rachel @ in bloom said...

I just wanted to update you: I plucked my Meyer lemon tree just before the big freeze last weekend, and cooked up some lemon curd a few days ago. It was wonderful! I covered it and put it in the freezer. I'm planning to make some homegrown Meyer lemon bars for holiday parties this weekend. :)