Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Great Summer Rain Response

So it rained one week ago after months of dry skies and a month of 100 degree temperatures. The flowers have taken advantage and responded with blooms a-plenty.

Here is the Coopers Rain lily that I discovered I had earlier this spring when it surprised me with a bloom. It has now graced me with a second bloom:



Here is another white rain lily or Fairy Lily Zephyranthes candida. This one likes consistently moist soil in the summer and dry soil in the winter. It therefore enjoys living in the drainage field of my air conditioning unit.



The Mexican Single Tuberose I planted this spring just started blooming. It smells so wonderful!:



A side view:



And a close-up:



The Winecups just started blooming. I planted these from seed in January (yes, I know they are supposed to go in during the fall time, but I was lazy and didn't get around to it) and they are just now blooming:



The rains really set the Texas Sage blooming as well:



A closer look:



Oh! A garden friend jumped onto Significant Other's back and I snapped a photo. Such a pretty green grasshopper:



Hyacinth Bean flowers:



This is the Scarlet Runner bean that I was told would not grow well for me down here. Well, it seems to be doing just fine:



I planted it where it would get afternoon shade and I am sure that helps. It is too hot for it to set beans however, so if I want those I have to wait until fall when the weather cools down. I grow it for the superb red flowers it gets, however, and for the hummingbirds who absolutely LOVE this vine. They are always fighting over the red flowers:

12 comments:

S said...

My gosh,

When did you plant your hyacinth and red runner vines? Mine look no where near what yours look like. Of course, I didn't get around to showing my hyacinth bean vine until the end of march and it's been so hot here in Austin... the runner bean i planted even later than that - last month!

Anonymous said...

The garden seems to breathe a sigh of relief after the rain. Isn't it amazing how quickly it responds.

Lee17 said...

sjp8987,

I planted them in early April (I tried in March, but the pill bugs plowed them to the ground so I had to re-plant the seeds). Both the Hyacinth bean vine and the Scarlet runner bean vine are growing where they get afternoon shade. I think that really helped them out when the temps got over 100.

Lee17 said...

mss,

It really is amazing. Everything just seems to come back from the dead - sorta like zombies ;)

Lori said...

I've never seen a tuberose that wasn't in a florist's arrangement. Are they winter-hardy here?

Eve said...

Oh, I have to have some scarlet runner beans just for pretty. I am on the Gulf Coast so I may need to plant them for afternoon shade too.

Anonymous said...

That grasshopper shot is surreal - it looks like a toy! the color is amazing. I had a couple of massive hoppers last year, but they would not stay still for long enough to shoot them. Perhaps this year ( I know I really don't want them, but they would make great photos!)
Regards,
ESP.

The Intercontinental Gardener said...

So many dainty beauties - included the little grasshopper! Lovely blog!

Lee17 said...

Lori,

Yes, they are hardy here. To Zone
8b. They really like the heat, but need extra water. So mine are planted where I can easily give them a drink with the watering can once a day.

Lee17 said...

Eve,

That is exactly why I have them! Just for pretty ;) They do seem to enjoy the afternoon shade down here.

Lee17 said...

east-side-patch,

I know! He does look like a toy doesn't he? He likes snacking on the new leaves of the Meyer lemon. Darn thing.

Lee17 said...

intercontinental gardener,

Thanks! I do love all the critters in the garden ;)