Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bloom day - Sept 15, 2011

Wow. So I skipped August bloom day, cause hell, I wasn't going outside even to take pictures when it was 105 degrees outside. No. Thank. You. I mean, christ, we are at 85 days at or above 100 degrees this year. The old record was 69 in 1925. We totally shredded that record this year. Just look at these numbers:








Due to this heat all summer, not much is left blooming. I do have quite a few scraggly salvias that the hummingbirds are loving right now. Here is a coral nymph salvia growing where the sprinklers hit:



There are a few Texas bluebells hanging on as well as some scraggly looking chocolate flower:



The turks cap is actually looking pretty good and the hummers are loving it:



The oxblood lilies were blooming crazy after watering day:





Some yellow rain lilies popped up after a watering as well. You can see them nestled amongst the tough and sparsely flowering leadwort blue plumbago:



One of the plants that has done really well all summer regardless of the harsh, dry conditions has been the Datura. Here it is blooming last night. Too bad I don't have smell-o-vision for these as they completely filled the garden with their thick, heady scent:



closer:



Well, that's it folks. Now excuse me while i hunt down some more chicken bones for another rain dance....

8 comments:

Rock rose said...

I always think that the Texas bluebell looks such an unlikely flower but it is very pretty. Happy bloom day to you and your garden.

scottweberpdx said...

OMG...I don't think anyone would blame you for hiding inside for a while longer! You gotta love those plants that bloom in spite of it all!

Jane said...

Those ox blood lilies are gorgeous! Do they have any scent? You are a brave gardener for thriving in such a sweltering growing zone. Happy Bloom Day!

RBell said...

Your oxblood lilies are looking great. I have a few scattered about my garden, but none of mine have ever bloomed. Sure wish mine would explode like yours! Happy GBBD!

bookworm said...

I lived in Wichita, KS in the summer of 1980 (which was one of the previous heat record years) so I have a small idea of what your summer was like. I was taken by the oxblood lilies - looked them up to find they aren't hardy here in upstate NY. Sigh. Anyway, I hope your heat comes to an end soon.

Indie said...

Holy cow, that's a lot of heat! Your oxblood lilies look amazing. I wish I could smell those datura!
Wishing some rain your way!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Living in California's central valley, I've experienced my share of 105-degree days, but after that many 100-plus-degree days in a row, I don't know how you have as many plants left alive as you do. I hope the full force of autumn arrives very quickly for you.

famous-celebrities said...

Fancy the content I have seen so far and I am your regular reader of your blog.

I am very much interested in adding http://thesuniskillingme.blogspot.com
in my blog http://famous-celebrities-in-the-world.blogspot.com

I am pleased to see my blog in your blog list.

I would like to know whether you are interested in adding my blog in your blog list.

Hope to see a positive reply.

Thanks for visiting my blog as well !

Waiting for your reply friend !!!!!